May 19, 2023
About Outlier Ventures
Outlier Ventures is the largest Web 3 accelerator in the world. Founded in 2014, it works with startups at various stages of their lifecycle from pre-seed / seed (via Base Camp) to later stage about to launch (or live) token networks specialising in a New Data Economy, NFTs, and DeFi bringing together a network of 1,000’s of the world’s leading web 3 founders, protocols, VCs to mentor, and invest.
About the role
Outlier Ventures is seeking a Product Engineer to help its growing portfolio of Web3 startups execute their product roadmap by leveraging the best web3 technologies and mixing them with web2 tech when applicable.
You will work cross-department here at Outlier Ventures, as part of the Product & Engineering Team. Our team is serving a critical function here at Outlier Ventures, where we serve both internal teams and startups with our expertise.
Product Engineers have a role in identifying the best technology stack. They help the portfolio companies find trade-offs by mixing web2 tech with web3 ones in a seamless matter.
In this role, you work hand in hand with our internal solution architects and with technical co-founders, CTOs and engineers at the crossroads of business and blockchain technology.
Web3 ecosystem landscape is constantly changing, and because of that, looking, selecting and staying updated with the web3 technologies plays a primary role. It offers an excellent opportunity to use your experience and practical approach to filter the noise from the signal.
Plus, because we are an accelerator, you will be involved in the admission process of the startups. This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of the selection process that shapes the subsequent batches of founders. Practically, you run alone or with other colleagues tech due-diligence sessions where you learn and challenge the applicants’ architecture, approaches, and business models.
We are looking for technical builders who love the Web3 movement, the startups and making an impact by providing their advice.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Help startups build viable product roadmaps by fostering practical approaches
- Participate in architecture and code review sessions.
- Advising portfolio companies on technical design and performing any associated technical market research.
- Participate in Tech Due Diligence calls to assess investment prospects focusing on their technical team capabilities, and potential product-market fit.
- Compile Tech Due Diligence summary reports, ranking investment prospects accordingly to our methodology.
- Contribute to building better tooling for Outlier Ventures internal teams.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has been exposed to the hectic startup life either as a founder/employee/investor.
- Got 1-2 years of exposure to Web3 technologies and build something hands-on.
- Is fluent in one or more general-purpose languages (e.g. Typescript, Python, Go, Rust, Java)
- Has built solutions with REST and/or GraphQL
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Practice agile principles.
Nice to have:
- Fundamentals of Solidity
- Ether.js and/or Web3.js
- React or any modern web framework
- Software security training, particularly smart contract security.
Package is subject to relevant experience. It will bias towards performance related bonuses, including the opportunity to invest directly into token projects on the same terms as the Outlier Ventures partnership.
What we can offer you*
- Exposure to some of the most exciting businesses in the web 3.0 and blockchain space.
- The ability to work with a broad variety of stakeholders around the world.
- Full autonomy in your role and the opportunity to explore any areas of interest should it meet the vision of the business.
- Private medical insurance.
- Discretionary bonus scheme.
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Opportunity to invest directly in projects
*availability subject to specific circumstances