April 9, 2023
Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3.
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 150+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
A group of Status Contributors are also involved in a new project, called Logos, and this particular role will enable you to also focus on this project. Logos is a grassroots movement to provide trust-minimised, corruption resistant governing services and social institutions to underserved citizens.
Logos’ infrastructure will provide a base for the provisioning of the next-generation of governing services and social institutions - paving the way to economic opportunities to those who need them most, whilst respecting basic human rights through the network’s design.
You can read more about Logos in this small handbook for mindful readers like yourself.
We want to build a powerful and action-oriented movement of individuals and groups aimed at not just imagining a different future, but actively participating in shaping it.
The Communications team, known as CommsHub – an interdisciplinary team of technologists, designers, strategists, artists, campaigners, researchers, and communications specialists – is at the heart of these efforts. It is tasked with designing and delivering a purpose led, multilayered, and multifaceted Communications Strategy, consisting of many streams, aspects and features, and aimed at balancing our commercial and political priorities.
To this end, our commercial communications—the marketing and communications of our business units and their work—should ensure clarity, purpose and character. Our political communications should be precise, accurate and exact, but also inspiring, motivating, impactful, and energetic.
CommsHub consists of seven units:
- Technology and Design Studio
- Project Management and Planning
- Research and Insight (Audience Research)
- Copywriting and Technical Documentation
- Digital Content Studio
- Movement Building and Campaign Activation
- Public Relations and Media
CommsHub seeks a competent and qualified Digital Comms Lead to assist in the delivery of a compelling and impactful story. This role is positioned within the Movement Building and Campaign Activation unit.
If you believe you’re able to successfully communicate a very complex message to a truly global audience, this could be a great opportunity. Building a strong, story-based narrative online is at the heart of our mission and this is an exciting opportunity for someone to help lay the foundation of what is to come.
What you bring:
You have the creativity and passion to assist in crafting our long term narrative, build engaged communities and showcase our pioneering technology. You grasp that our commercial communications—the marketing and communications of our business units and their work—should ensure clarity, purpose and character. You understand that political communications should be precise, accurate and exact, but also inspiring, motivating, impactful, and energetic.
In this role, you have primary responsibility for designing and delivering a digital communications plan aimed at achieving our diverse set of objectives. As such, you are expected to collaborate with contributors across the organisation to design and execute our commercial communications plan.
- Develop ideas and initial plans for an overall digital comms plan in alignment with the overall movement building strategy and commercial communications priorities.
- Work proactively and productively with key members of CommsHub and other stakeholders to ensure the disciplined delivery of the digital comms plan.
- Owner for our social media channels.
- Day-to-day responsibility for all of our online channels.
You ideally will have:
- Minimum of 7 years experience in digital comms & marketing, including solid experience in Web3 / Blockchain.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Experience in working for or with political, campaigning, civil society, human rights organisations/NGOs.
- Deep experience in designing and delivering impactful digital comms campaigns.
- Ability to monitor trends and identify creative opportunities that support campaign objectives.
- Demonstrable experience of successfully using social media for campaigning, mobilisation, community engagement and/or fundraising.
- Good understanding of the political climate and developments in the privacy, data and digital rights, and Blockchain space.
- Ability to monitor and analyse performance data.
- Excellent organisation skills; with the ability to initiate, monitor, prioritise, and complete projects.
- High degree of self-motivation & exceptional attention to detail.
- Able to work independently & as part of a team, under pressure & able to meet tight deadlines.
- Commitment and willingness to learn and grow.
- Strong alignment to our Principles
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or a related field
- Experience working remotely and asynchronously
- Experience in Blockchain and peer-to-peer technology.
- Experience working for an open source organisation or a politically aligned organisation to Status.
- You identify with the Cypherpunk movement.
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter].
The expected compensation range for this role is $70,000 - $100,000 (negotiable, dependent on how we assess your skills and experience throughout our interview process.
We are happy to pay in any mix of fiat/crypto.
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with Pepper from our Talent team
- Interview with Al, Communication & Activism Director, Comms Hub team
- Interview with Ned, Creative Director, Comms Hub team
- Interview with Santiago, Head Campaign Manager, Comms Hub team
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline.
Get to know us:
We care deeply about open source software, and our organizational structure does away with a strict hierarchy and fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organisation’s priorities.
- We are Remote and Decentralized.
- We are 150+ employees spread across 30+ different countries
- We are driven by shared principles and believe in complete transparency. That’s why everything we do is completely public to the entire community.
This job is no longer available
See more jobs in