June 15, 2023
- Division of Economic Justice
- Investor Protection Bureau
- Virtual Assets Analyst – New York City
- Reference No. IPB_NYC_VAA_6275
Application Deadline is July 14, 2023
The Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) is seeking a Virtual Assets Analyst to support virtual assets investigations conducted by the Investor Protection Bureau (IPB). IPB, which has both regulatory and enforcement authority, protects the public from fraud and misrepresentations in the offer and sale of securities, commodities and other investment products. The analyst will help IPB attorneys identify and investigate fraud and other deceptive practices involving virtual assets. The analyst position is located in New York City and reports to the Bureau Chief and Deputy Bureau Chief.
The duties of the analyst will include but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluating and analyzing intakes and other intelligence, including complaints involving virtual assets; searching databases and other sources to identify patterns of misconduct and opportunities for enforcement; and presenting findings and recommendations to escalate/prioritize matters;
- Remaining current on emerging dynamics in the field and developing expertise with a variety of blockchain and crypto analysis tools and resources;
- Analyzing virtual asset transactions using both open-source and third-party tools;
- Developing and implementing techniques to utilize key data and information to support IPB’s investigations and cases;
- Converting complex data into easily comprehensible reports, memos, fact sheets, talking points, PowerPoint presentations and data visualizations;
- Interfacing with OAG partners, such as the Research and Analytics Department, to expand the OAG’s ability to investigate and trace virtual assets;
- Preparing and delivering trainings in the use of various tools to conduct blockchain analyses;
- Attending meetings and calls regarding case strategy and testifying in hearings and at trial, as needed, regarding blockchain and cryptocurrency analysis and attribution; and
- Cultivating professional relationships and contacts at other state and federal agencies engaged in similar work.
Qualifications for the Virtual Assets Analyst position include the following:
- A demonstrated familiarity with and understanding of the technical aspects of crypto asset transactions, markets and processes, including blockchain technology and decentralized finance protocols;
- Experience analyzing large data sets and proficiency at maintaining and querying databases;
- Strong technology skills are preferred, including using MS Access and Excel to manage large data sets, proficiency with LexisNexis or similar research databases, conducting strategic internet searches, and preserving webpages, and using presentation software such as PowerPoint;
- Excellent research, analytic, organization, presentation and communication (verbal and written) skills, including the ability to communicate highly technical concepts accessibly;
- Entrepreneurial, proactive and self-directed with effective time management skills;
- Adept at learning new software applications and assimilating complex information; and
- Applicants available to work in this position for at least two (2) years are preferred.
The salary range for this position is $62,517 + $3,026 in location pay. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online. To apply, please click on the Apply Now button.
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on July 14, 2023.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- Cover Letter
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate. You may wish to include information about what life experiences you will bring to the position that will enhance IPB’s ability to better serve the diverse population of this state.
- Writing Sample
- A sample research synthesis or data analysis is preferred.
- Your sample should demonstrate your ability to analyze and organize information into an effective, well-organized and error-free document.
- If needed, please provide a cover page to provide the reviewer with any relevant context or background information.
- List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov.