August 28, 2023
About the Role
Flashbots is seeking a talented backend engineer to join our team in exploring proposer-builder-separation (PBS) on Ethereum Layer 2. Your deep understanding of Ethereum, Rollups, and MEV auction will be vital to this role as we work towards enshrining PBS and decentralizing L2 sequencers.
Note: We are prioritizing candidates who can work within Asian, African, or European time zones for this role.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the PBS design space and the Ethereum L2 ecosystem, along with the unique challenges and features of individual rollups
- Collaborate closely with rollups on the decentralization of their sequencers
- Research, develop, and evaluate L2 PBS designs, MEV-Boost on L2, and L2 MEV auctions
- Explore potential paths toward enshrined PBS in collaboration with Ethereum Foundation, the community, and the broader ecosystem
- Experience with Ethereum consensus, and consensus protocols more broadly
- Familiarity with L2 technologies and platforms, such as Optimistic Rollups and zk-rollups
- A strong background in distributed systems, cryptography, and network protocols
- Familiarity with multiple programming languages, including but not limited to Golang, Rust, and Solidity
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to work independently and make critical decisions under pressure
- A genuine interest in blockchain consensus designs and the challenges they present
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in a remote environment
- Works within Asian, African, or European time zones
Flashbots started in 2020 as a research and development organization formed to mitigate the negative externalities and existential risks posed by Maximal Extractable Value (MEV) to smart-contract blockchains, starting with Ethereum. We build products to maximally decentralize public blockchains, redistribute MEV, and empower users. We work closely with our community to ensure that our products have a positive impact, are secure, and can be used in production at scale.
Since the launch of Flashbots, we have had an immense impact on the world of cryptocurrency. The Flashbots Auction was launched in alpha in January 2021 and was quickly adopted by almost all Ethereum miners. Prior to Ethereum’s Merge in 2022, Flashbots launched MEV-Boost, a temporary solution for out-of-protocol proposer-builder separation. MEV-Boost has since been adopted by over 90% of Ethereum validators and has significantly influenced the Ethereum PoS ecosystem. Now, Flashbots continues its journey with the introduction of MEV-Share as we continue our journey toward SUAVE.
Flashbots Research is an independent arm of the organization that aims to become the hub of MEV research. In addition to conducting in-house analysis, Flashbots Research collaborates with external researchers at other institutions via an external grants program. Flashbots Research continues to publish seminal research on MEV, covering a wide range of topics including cross-chain MEV, EIP1559 and MEV, how ETH2 affects MEV, SGX and privacy, and more. For a full list of publications, visit writings.flashbots.net.
- Competitive salary
- Significantly above market rate equity compensation package
- Unlimited PTO with a high level of freedom and autonomy for your work
- Attractive health cover package for US employees
- Yearly budget for your individual learning and development goals
- Work alongside the brightest minds in the crypto space
- Help build the future of blockchain technology
- Remote working - travel and work from anywhere in the world
- Paid travel - team on-sites in different parts of the world, several times a year
At Flashbots, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, or disability status.