July 14, 2023
Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3.
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 150+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
The project and role:
Status’ legal team is growing!
This is a unique opportunity to work as an associate level in-house legal counsel on a fully remote team. You’ll be helping Status’ Legal lead in supporting Finance, Marketing, People Ops, and one of the most innovative Core Developer teams in blockchain.
Your input from a legal perspective will include, among other things, regulatory research, contract management, and compliance monitoring and general advice. You’ll get immediate hands-on experience in legal issues in jurisdictions across the globe and you’ll be working on cutting edge issues at every turn, whether blockchain technology law, intellectual property, employment law, or basic contract management.
Everything we do at Status is custom-designed for the new Web 3.0 world, from innovation in our products to work + lifestyle for Status’ own contributors. This leads to some challenging problem-solving and creative legal solutions.
You will advise and assist with the following:
- Assist the in-house legal team with requests as needed, ranging from contract drafting and management to reporting, as well as responding to urgent matters from all Status teams;
- Take ownership of selected projects from idea to execution and post-closing monitoring;
- Understand priorities, legal and regulatory needs and risks of Status;
- Review, draft and amend a variety of commercial agreements, service agreements and NDAs;
- Research legal and regulatory risks and implications to help Status meet its compliance obligations in rapidly changing regulatory environments;
- Monitor compliance concerns across all teams (including async group chats with time sensitive requests);
- Interact and work with finance, operations, tech teams and service providers as regulatory obligations and internal controls expand;
- Maintain record keeping and file system for legal documentation; and
- Implement and maintain relevant policies and procedures as required.
- Law degree from a leading university and legal training from a reputable international law firm (any jurisdiction worldwide) OR advanced degree (LL.M) and legal research or compliance experience - legal certification (bar admission) not necessary for this contract position;
- 3-5 years experience as a practising lawyer or regulatory and compliance specialist (preferably with a tech-focused firm or in the financial markets industry, but not essential);
- Awareness and basic knowledge and understanding of cross border legal and regulatory issues and of diverse legal systems;
- At least a basic awareness of and passion for Web 3.0;
- Fluent in English for professional legal settings.
- Advanced legal analytical skills;
- Strong research skills, ability to independently research, analyse and convey legal and regulatory issues and nuances in variety of jurisdictions and in diverse legal systems;
- Creative, problem solving mindset;
- Excellent drafting and writing skills;
- Strong attention to detail, including mechanical aspects of drafting;
- Strong organisational skills, including maintenance of checklists and prioritisation of deadlines to meet short term deadlines and ad hoc needs;
- Strong intercultural skills and experience working in an environment with different cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Ability to work with limited supervision, but as part of the team;
- A strong alignment to our principles.
Bonus points if:
- Experience working remotely, especially with a decentralised, minimal hierarchy, open source organisation
- Located in Europe (CET time zone)
- Additional languages
Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!
- Introductory call with the Talent Team
- Interview with the Head of Legal
- Technical task with sample legal tasks (paid, 3-4 hours max)
- Interview with non-legal team lead
Steps may change, please consider the above as a guideline!
We are happy to pay in any mix of fiat/crypto.